Reduce Cleavage Wrinkles, Try these tips!
Myth: Breast size causes chest creases and cleavage wrinkles
Fact: While women with larger breasts do experience more movement and breast positional changes while sleeping throughout the night, cleavage wrinkles can equally affect women with A – D cup sized breasts.
Creases between the breasts can occur due to a number of reasons:
- Age- As women age, collagen starts to break down, oil gland production and estrogen levels may decrease. Add many years of unprotected sun exposure to the equation and now you have a perfect formula to create chest wrinkles.
- Sun Damage- The skin on the neck and chest gets almost as much sun and weather as the face, and yet it is thinner. Brown spots, crepe-like texture or wrinkles that linger may be due to sun damage over many years. It is important to protect the area from the sun and apply sunscreen to the area daily.
- Skin & Tissue Integrity- A woman who has thicker chest skin, the amount of subcutaneous fat in the chest region, is less likely to experience wrinkles in the chest because it maintains good underlying structural support.
- Daily Behavior- The lines can also be caused by sports or push-up bras, which compress the breasts together and are often worn for long hours at a time.
- Sleeping- Many people think these chest lines are only due to the way our breasts flop and lay for hours while we sleep, but it is actually a combination of all of the above that make those lines remain while we are awake during the day. You can try to arrange supportive pillows in a way that softens those lines or reduces the chance of them developing for your stomach, side or back sleeping habits.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in breast procedures, I often get asked how to prevent cleavage wrinkles or to alleviate some of the existing wrinkles a patient may already have. The most important piece of advice for preventative measures is to apply a sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, good UVA and UVB blockers. Also, getting started on the Obagi ELASTIderm Décolletage Wrinkle Reducing Lotion will help replenish elasticity and build collagen from increased skin strength and resilience.
Contact Las Vegas, NV Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Alexander, to learn how to revitalize your décolletage skin with the Obagi ELASTIderm Décolletage System for flawless, younger-looking skin.